Wednesday, July 13, 2011

No Man Is an Island

I know I'm a little behind, but last night I watched The Social Network for the first time.  Like everyone else, I was struck by the unbelievable selfishness and arrogance of the main character.  The constant over-the-top partying also got wore thin, but it's what people tend to do when their lives have no meaning.  I don't know if this is an accurate portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg, but if so, I can only pity him.  Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook.  He's now a billionare, and and famous the world over.  Time Magazine awarded him Man of the Year.  He has everything one could want.  Except people to share his life with. True, he was (is) brilliant, but his ego and ambition took up every frame of the film.  He drove away every friend he had except those who were using him.  Relationships are what matter, and he screwed over every person in his life in his rise to the top.  I wonder if he'd change anything if he had it to do over. 

The film ends with a scene of him sitting alone in an office, friending his former girlfriend over and over, a request which we know will be ignored.  It's the saddest movie I've seen in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment